Where is the money?

Hi
The BNZ has 3 digits at the end for each account. Where as other banks only show two digits, if some one wants to transfer me money.

I was being transffered $16 from ASB.
My eftpos account ends with 083
and also the bnz app gave me 083

But when you paste this number any where, the other banks donot take the extra digit and 3 is missed oit.

I want to know

1. Why do you have a numbering convention which is not standard across all banks?
  2. How many bnz customers have more than 99 accounts?
  3. Where is my money ? As I donot have any account ending with 08… Though my customer id remains same…
  4. What is the process when such a payment is made to an absolute account number which doesnot exist but you do know who this account belongs to?
  5. Why do a customer ask you, instead of the bank asking whose money it is?
  6. Do you follow all rules of RBNZ?

It’s very easy to resolve. Simply drop the leading zero from the suffix. So “083” becomes “83”.

Why should i drop zero?
Why have they made this numbering convention which is not yet standardised in the banking sector that they operate in?

My friend already transferred it in by dropping last number '3’
or more like the bank software didnot take the last number as BNZ operates its own convention and its app shares this number which is not compatible.

Then don’t take the advice… Your post appears to be more about trying to make a point (whatever it is) then resolving a simple issue. It’s not the bank’s fault your friend can’t adhere to a well known and long established protocol.

One of 2 things will happen:

1. It will be held in a exceptions queue and deposited later
  2. It will be returned to your friend, who can make the payment again

Who established this protocol?
Where is this protocol documented?
Does a foreigner supppse to know your protocols?
Does a non bnz customer needs to know BNZ protocol?

They can or they lose my account. Face a RBNZ enquiry in disappearance of money.

I am not asking to resolve a issue but to answer my quests… Issue is recurring and a problem…
I am behind the root cause… I want answers… They cannot do as they wish. Sorry administrators (management of the bank), u do not own the bank, so fall inline

This is an issue you need to take up with the ASB because that is where the payment was initiated from.

Yes i will take it up with ASB, RBNZ and BNZ !

Are you from thr bank @michaelnz ? Why r u using terms like protocol …etc… making it seem a standard operating procedure, approved by reserve bank. Why can’t or shouldn’t be improved?

Can you answer these questions on behalf of the bank:
I want to know

1. Why do you have a numbering convention which is not standard across all banks?
  3. Where is my money ? As I donot have any account ending with 08… Though my customer id remains same…
  4. What is the process when such a payment is made to an absolute account number which doesnot exist but you do know who this account belongs to?
  5. Why do a customer ask you, instead of the bank asking whose money it is?
  6. Do you follow all rules of RBNZ (Reserve bank of NZ)

“Call the Police, there’s a madman around”

• West End Girls, The Pet Shop Boys

I am not an employee or representative of the bank which is why I am quite free to say your posts have a tone which is out of order here and I suggest you tone it down a few notches.

A community board is for discussions.

Though it also serves as:

1. A free crowd source ticket solving platform
  2. Also as a way to get customer feedback
  3. A place to get votes for a new feature, to streamline lean development
  4. A way to go away from inbox/mails in your banking services.

Stop suggesting others, if you do not have answers just shut Up please. No post is for you. Stop hijacking my post and its motives, please. You can post your views on others please or use facebook or anything else, please…

You have been given your answer. Your friend entered the account number wrong so you will have to take it up with them.

Seeing you claim to know so much about the banking system, surely you would have known to tell your friend this?

You have nothing else to do? Do you ?
I am not asking what i did or I didnot, i am asking some questions…
Which you are not answering even after being a troll…
You must even start using the BNZ app and use all its features… Then you will get an indepth understanding before you troll.

Ok lets get back on topic
Can bnz please answer these questions:
I want to know

1. Why do you have a numbering(a/c no.) convention which is not standard across all banks?
  3. Where is my money ? As I donot have any account ending with 08… Though my customer id remains same… How many such incides occur and how much interest does bank earn from holding up the money?
  4. What is the process when such a payment is made to an absolute account number which doesnot exist but you do know who this account belongs to? (as the last 2/3 digit are the accnt and befre that its like the customer id)
  5. Why do a customer has to ask you about these funds, instead of the bank asking whose money it is? Giving it back with interest?
  6. Do you follow all rules of RBNZ (Reserve bank of NZ)

To answer your questions

1. it is actually the case of all banks are meant to have 3 digit suffixes but (to the best of my knowledge) banks do not allow you to have more than 99 account suffixs so therefore all other banks have “made things easier” (in their mind) by dropping the 0

2. as stated above to the best of my knowledge nobody will be able to have more than 99 accounts under that suffix

3. if you do not have a 08 account then on the next business night after this was sent to you, it will return to the senders account. (Keep in mind public holidays)
    So if for example it was sent on Wednesday, it would be sent back overnight on Thursday to the senders account. The sender should have this back in their account on Friday morning

4. if money is sent to a invalid account number it follows the above process
    If the account number exists ( the 08 account) then it will go in that account. The bank won’t gain any money from this as it is in transit rather than sitting in a Bnz account

5. it’s up to the sender to get the account Humber right not the bank to try fix up the mistakes of the others

6. yes this is completely above board and legal as they are not taking your money

Twice in the past year I have had misdirected funds turn up in my business account. The first time around it was a T/T so I contacted BNZ and asked them to return it to the originator in Australia. The second time - only a few days ago - I sent it back as soon as I had the sender’s account number - which can be viewed the following day in a CSV export.

The first party would have likely lost their T/T fees and the latest party will lose nothing and should see their funds tomorrow morning as I returned them on Saturday.

In both instances it was a error at the senders end.

Aerogirl had a very good answer here, so this is how I see it

1. The standard account numbering across all banks in NZ is 2-4-7-3 2 for the Bank, 4 for the branch, 7 for the account and 3 for the suffix. 1st digit is a leading zero then 83, it is up to each bank how they wish you to enter the suffix, however when payment is made across banks if you only put in 83 then that bank sends out as 083
  2. That is commercially sensitive information, if you wanted more than 99 accounts, then you need to get a second base account number
  3. Your transaction would have ended up in an Unprocessed Items Account and it is up to each bank how they treat this, some may spend time looking for another suffix and put it into say the main account, others may just send it back the next business day to the other bank, who will then put this back in the senders account. Please note this is for a domestic payment only. If this has been a Telegraphic Transfer they may cancel payment or ask the remitting bank for more details as suffix is incorrect.
  4. As Above
  5. I am not sure of your point here, are you saying that the bank needs to tell the person receiving the funds that they nearly got the money, there is no process for this
  6. Yes

I hope this helps

Yes the conclusion of the above reply leads to my final question -

why have three digits when you are serving max of 99 accounts per user id ?