What is the "Direct Debit Authority Number" that has to be included in the ib4b file?

Hi all,

I used search but couldn’t find the answer so some help would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the process of having software create an ib4b file for direct debits.
I found this excellent guide:
https://www.bnz.co.nz/assets/business-banking-help-support/internet-banking/ib4b-file-format-guide.pdf
but have a question:

What is the “Direct Debit Authority Number” to be included in the header record (field 2) of a direct debit batch, and how can a New Zealand company know what theirs is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Laurence Bloem

Hi Laurence, the Direct Debit Authority number is a number that is allocated to the Direct Debit Initiator when they are approved. Direct Debit Initiators know their number once they’ve been approved/confirmed by the bank.
Hope that’s helpful!

Thanks Yvonne, it sure is helpful.
So just to confirm you have to apply for the ability to do direct debits (which makes sense, we don’t want all and sundry to take money out of our accounts).
And is the approving done by you (the bank), or some authority?

Thanks again!

Laurence

Hi Laurence, so sorry, I just saw this message! Yes, you have to apply for that ability to do that. Your account manager will be able to help you with that application (forms to fill out etc.) or if you’re a SME the Small Business Hub will be able to help. I’m not sure about the approval process but I know that it is a standard that is across all the banks. Let me know if you need any further assistance on this!

Thank you Yvonne, you’ve been a great help!