Payclip - disable credit cards

Hi
I’m a very small business owner, and have a payclip for taking payments at markets. I can’t afford to take the transaction fee for credit cards on myself.
Even tho I have signage everywhere saying eftpos for debit cards only (and mention there is a surcharge for credit cards), and ask people if they are using a credit card, some people have cheekily used a credit card when paying (and I can’t tell as the cards look the same often!), and I don’t know until I see the fees pop up.
Can I disable credit cards on my payclip all together? Or have it add the transaction fee as a step on the payclip when it detects a credit card?
Thanks.

Hi Rachael, you can’t disable the acceptance of credit cards on PayClip. You incur merchant service fees for credit card transactions and contactless transactions, including those made on scheme debit cards. You can disable contactless transactions in the PayClip app if you wish. In regards to surcharging, please ensure you’re following BNZ’s terms and conditions in relation to surcharging. You can find these on page 6 of our merchant agreement www.bnz.co.nz/merchantagreement

As a fellow small business operator, my advice would be to accept credit cards and do not charge a surcharge. View merchant fees - which are under 3% for Payclip - as a way to increase business.

Yes you should be able to. The bank should allow you to. My advice would be write back t the bank saying you will not be paying any credit card fees, if they cannot disable it and cc: Reserve Bank of NZ. You can file a report with RBNZ

As of now disable paywave and

1. For a physical device - remove the button from the payclip device or glue a metal bracket on top of it.
  2. For a touch screens find the way to block the areas on screen. They are like shop display mode. Very easy to achieve in iphones. Give it a go and let me know

LOL.

Merchant terms and conditions are set by the bank (in this case the BNZ) and the card scheme operators (Visa, Mastercard, etc). Merchant Services terms are especially one-sided.

What you are suggesting is akin to the tail wagging the dog. The OP has no leverage but requires the bank’s service. In other words, the terms are ‘take it or leave it’.

It’s not smart to get offside with one’s bankers by vandalising their hardware.

The most appropriate course of action would be to contact Merchant Services and ask them to conisder adding this as a feature. I would not hold your breath though. Payclip is a competitively priced offering and no doubt the bank has factored anticipated revenue from credit cards into that. New Zealand has the cheapest eftpos (debit card) charges around. The bank doesn’t make much, if anything, from debit card transactions. Even the ‘clip’ on credit cards is marginal.

I accept credit cards in my business via a merchant facility with the Bank of New Zealand, and although it’s an expense, it’s worth it. I can take the customer’s card details, send them the products and the money is deposited into my business account 7 days a week. It has saved me time, saved the customer time and made it easier for both parties to transact.

I just wanted some discussion. The basic law is that you cut and over write things. ‘Take it or Leave it’ has been recently regarded as not an ‘Option’ by the courts in aus and nz. Therefore if the merchant does send the email to RBNZ and the BNZ, they will have to get the feature enabled in their apps.
Its a choice by the bank not to enable it, not a technology restriction.

The basic laws in NZ are quite helpful

1. If it is not fit for purpose than bank should not have given it to you. If they have given it to you by saying it is an added feature that is a bane to you, you must be able to get it disabled or ask for a refundon those transactions.

2. Eftpos tx code is royality free. The current account balance earns no interest. The profit balance sheet of the banks is quite st fwd fr you to understand why such services are being stuffed in your mouth rather than being upsold.

3. This is the only first world country which doesnot have instanteous payments. Even china and india have them.

You aren’t the first and are unlikely to be the last person here who didn’t study the law properly and thus think it’s says something which it doesn’t.
I can only guess your mythical (and unattributed!) law is the Consumer Guarantees Act. If you read this you would have found that B2B transactions can be contracted out of.

Furthermore, the service is clearly described here:
https://www.bnz.co.nz/business-banking/payments/payclip
which says:
“Accept payments on the go from EFTPOS, Visa, Mastercard, American Express and UnionPay credit and debit cards using contactless, swipe, or chip and PIN.”

There is no law which says a product or service has to be customisable to anyone and everyone’s whims. That is a flight of fancy on your part.

Normal business owners find the best product for the job and work within it’s capabilities. My business has a BNZ merchant facility and it’s actually pretty damn good.

No doubt if you actually try and set up a business there you will quickly learn why the World Bank rates New Zealand #1 for ease of doing business.

1. Ease of doing buisness as an international party is rated, not as a local. That is why china and India have the largest entrepreneurs
  2. You have read law more than me but fail to understand that, you make an application(offer). Your application is accepted or rejected. Banks try to manipulate this offer system by creating pre written terms. You can strike them out or create your own application with your terms.

Some people like you have made banks feel supreme. Then they come on these forums as an outside supporter while working as their marketing agents and pacify others as if they are one among the crowd.

Anyways its been done in the past in UK, US, Russia, Germany. Court systems have supported these applications as genuine. Recently in russia, a man utilised the same font size and applied on his own terms, his offer was accepted.

So until banks donot stop imposing malpractices as ‘take it or leave it’, they cannot real cry foul.
Neither their agents (like you)

Wow, you are a “big shot” imagining you can dictate terms with the bank. So where would that leave you? No bank will deal with you and no bank = no business.

This is of course separate from normal negotiation of terms, but based on the tone of your comments, I doubt you know where the line is.

An anonomoly caused by staff oversight does not create a viable way to do business. In any case, they will be smarter the next time around and the person will be looking for a new bank. Furthermore, such audacity is unlikely to go unnoticed in financial circles. If they are bragging about their exploits to readers like yourself, they clearly haven’t thought it through carefully.

If you look into the history of this forum, you will find you are not the first person here with too much free time and an overactive imagination. The previous person is now bankrupt. Think about that.

I think the next bankrupt is you.
With the type of your replies - you aint getting any retail customers that keep you busy for sure.

I have secured and delivered on multi million dollar findings through crowd sourcing projects. My foundation works on a number of open source projects that has helped business small and big.

That is why I said that people like you keep thinking about the ‘line’ which helps establish a supremacy of the banks. They feel invincible. They are not. Hopefully your salary will not be deducted by BNZ. Star consultant.

If you are a good reader outside bnz portal, you would know that none of those cases were anonymous. They were to prove that a single man can cause a change. They have caused changes unlike you.
Carry on Mr Consultant. Hey BNZ give him a raise !

What a load of rubbish.

“Multi million dollar findings” is totally meaningless.

Open Source, while great in many regards, does not make you a business person.

LoL - you are still in the traditional world.

‘Multi million dollar funding’
Search for my name on crowdsourcing websites and on github. Yo may just leave banking

Yes, because that’s the way the world works.

It seems that way to most of us but it does not work like that. Ask the CEOs of MNCs or the CEO of this bank- they may just tell you SOME DAY how it really works.