Non citizen account

Hi, I am mexican and I will be visiting NZ for the autumn, so I was wondering if I can open an account. I have a tourist visa, my main purpose in NZ is to travel around the beautiful country. I will not work there, but I would like to be able to have a local account because it will be cheaper, safer and easier. Thanks in advance

Hi @gomezcesar! It sounds like you have a very exciting trip planned :smiley:

Generally, it is at the discretion of the branch who sets up the account as to whether they are happy to open an account on a tourist visa. As a tourist visa is quite short term, we may not be able to open an account. I would recommend contacting us on 0800 275 269 so that you can check this with your preferred branch. Thanks, Emma

@gomezcesar

I’d be surprised if any bank is willing to open you an account seeing you have no New Zealand connections, nor a fixed address here nor a working visa.

But if you still want to give it a try I would suggest ANZ as your best bet. BNZ and Kiwibank are not particularly favourable to new arrivals. From what I have heard ASB are probably OK for foreigners but they are otherwise a picky bank so I’d be surprised if they accept you, but you could give them a try.

The issue at hand here is you have no good reason (from their point of view) to open an account, no prospect of further business and no connections or fixed abode here which makes you look like a high risk client to them.

Can you explain more about your reasons and intended use and I will offer any suggestions I can?

Sorry I took so long in answering. Thanks for tha attention. To be honest, this idea came from a friend who lived 13 years in New Zealand and she told me that it would be the safest option for a traveler. I also think it would be safer and cheaper to travel along NZ with a local card and my money there. Thanks for your interest and help.