Internet banking payer name

I have noticed internet banking is setting the “payer name” as my personal name even though the payment came from a company account (one off payment).

It looks like the payer name can be specified for bill payments to pre-registered companies but not one off payments.

What is going on and how can it be rectified?

I would also like an option to automatically email to me a daily* CSV transactions spreadsheet.

*Even better if I can set parameters.

Hi Michael, you’re right we don’t currently provide an option to edit the payer name for one off payments.  To change the payer name you would need to save this person/company as a payee, change the payer name for this payee and proceed from there.  We haven’t had this request before so will look into what would be involved with changing this.

Thanks for this suggestion Michael.  We’re just about to start looking at some automation options so I’ll include your feedback in those discussions.

Thanks . I will also C&P another suggestion I sent through this morning:

Hi [redacted],

As discussed:

I’d like to see a unique identifier per transaction line for CSV exports. This way transactions can be individually identified even if all the other reference fields are the same. This would be particularly helpful to mitigate against the risk of double entering transactions when importing into a payments receivable system.

Customers with preloaded bill payments would commonly send through the same particulars, code and reference fields each time. Even if I used the date, this is not foolproof as I have accidentally paid twice before on the same day. If I checked the reference fields and the date to make sure the payment had not been entered before, it would miss a double payment in this scenario. Therefore I’d like to programmatically check it against a unique ID which can only apply to a specfic intividual transaction.

Please forward this to the relevant department.

Michael Hallager

I’m working on building a new enterprise for my existing business and one of the important points (with respect to the BNZ) with this one is minimising time spent and risk of errors when importing payments into a computerised system.

Thanks Michael, I see what you mean.  I wonder if adding a Time element would solve this and also potentially give people extra useful information to order their transactions appropriately.  What do you think?  I’ll have a chat with the team about what would be involved with changing the export process.

Thanks  for considering this but I am not sure time will be any more use than date, especially considering the only time information you have is the received time, right? And payments are batched between banks… Your suggestion may be workable but it’s what I would term a ‘hack’ (for what I want to use it for). A unique transaction ID would be far more reliable and foolproof.

Failing that, the only idea I can think of is to save an MD5 sum of the whole transaction row and if I can include time, this may just work, but not be as elegent as I’d normally like.

@michaelnz Just add a unique primary key on import?

Thanks for the suggestion  but I am referring to checking user input. I want to know even if the transactions via the CSV file were to be duplicated for any reason, it does not result in an accounting problem.

Consider this possible scenario:

Amount “10.00” Particulars “ACME WIDGETS” Code “BNZ BILLPAY” Reference: “ACC12345”

Amount “10.00” Particulars “ACME WIDGETS” Code “BNZ BILLPAY” Reference “ACC12345”

What happened? Did the customer make a double payment on the same day (or import period) or was there a period overlap in the current and last CSV imports or did the CSV file get imported twice? How is the system to know?

If I have available a unique transaction identifier field, I can store this and use it to triage the payment records prior to loading them into the database payments table.