Happy New Year - what have you got planned for 2016?

Happy New Year! I hope everyone has had a relaxing and enjoyable holiday period.

As we ease into 2016 I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to achieve this year - it is, after all, the time to be making resolutions!

Last year I tackled credit card debt, so this year is going to be all about saving. I’ve got a couple of different goals - short term I’m planning a trip to Japan, mid term I’m looking to pump up my savings buffer for rainy days, and over the long term (long long term, considering the price of houses in Auckland these days!) I’ll be saving for a house deposit.

I found this blog on sustainable saving and goal setting is really useful, especially the advice on being really specific about goals and creating strategies to achieve them. 

What are your goals or resolutions for 2016?

Saving, money and budgeting is something that we’ve been thinking about a lot lately. My partner and I are just about to take possession of our first home. With that comes the responsibility of making sure our finances are in order and ensuring we have enough saving to get through in an emergency. So like most couples we sat down and started working through our budget, at the end we were a little disappointed at the amount we’d be able to save each week, after a bit if sulking we decided to revisit the budget and look at areas we can cut costs. It was only now that it dawned on us how much we spend on cigarettes each week. The fact that we, as a couple spend over $200 per week in cigarettes is sickening on more than one level.

So our goal this year is to stop this and move away from wasting money.

Wish us luck, I’m sure we’re going to need it (4th time Lucky!)

2015 was a whirl of a year for me! New home, new car, new job and the start of my first relationship in over 8 years! YES definitely the craziest and most fun year so far!! So as we start 2016 I too have jumped on the budgeting wagon and have dealt to some serious social spending!!! I made a colour coded table which budgets out my year fortnightly and I was delighted to see that I have more money then I initially thought; I just won’t be eating my way down ponsonby Rd each week with my friends!!!  the little exercise has drawn an easy to read, far less daunting picture of my expenses, clear forecast on saving for both travel AND a rainy day, and i still have spending money! I keep a copy of this in my day planner, on my mirror, and In my wallet!  so here’s to an exciting and fruitful start to the year everyone :slight_smile:

I made just one resolution - to plan and take action as opposed to reacting impulsively.

My clock is the cycles of nature and life so… just continuing on with what I was doing to December 31st.