Gone Fishin'

The crooks are at it again – this time under the guise of updating your Apple ID and the threat of your account being blocked if you don’t provide personal banking details. If you receive an e-mail that looks like it’s from Apple asking you to enter personal details, try logging into Apple first to check that your ID is working ok, if it is, simply delete the e-mail you received as it’s likely to be a scam.

The only reason you might receive an e-mail from Apple regarding your password is if you requested it. For example, If you are having trouble accessing Apple using your usual ID you can select ‘forgot password’ via the login screen to request it to be reset. It will then prompt you to reset this using your phone or apple device, and you’ll then be sent an e-mail to confirm the changes have been made. Apple will never send you an e-mail out of the blue asking you for your login details or personal banking information.

Please don’t reply to or click on any links that ask you to give out personal or banking information. Whether it be from Apple, Spark, Microsoft or any other legitimate sounding business.

Legitimate organisations, whether public or private, will never send you e-mails like this. If you think you’ve been caught up in a phishing scam, or if you’ve provided personal and/or banking details to someone either via telephone, email, text or by clicking on a link, please call us on 0800 ASK BNZ (275 269) and ask to speak to the Financial Crime Management Centre.

I also tell people that if they have given out any bank account or credit/debit numbers, to immediately call their bank to at least prevent any further deductions.

I just got the following phishing email to my work address. A obvious phish as I’m not even with BNZ

Both buttons go to boristep.com/asmglobal/nzv248.php

Hey @CDijkgraaf -

That definitely looks like a phishing email. Could you please forward that to BNZAbuse@bnz.co.nz ?

I’d also recommend deleting the email. Thanks for letting us know :slight_smile: