From Post-its to your pocket

Call me biased but I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that BNZ’s Digital team are doing a pretty good job of staying at the forefront of developments that change the way people think about banking - making it an easier, more secure and more satisfying experience.

How do we do it? Well, our team embraces Agile practices and principles. It’s a way of managing Digital development teams and projects. Agile places value on individuals and interaction over processes and tools, working software over comprehensive documentation, customer collaboration over contract negotiation, and responding to change over following a plan.

Being Agile means lots of face-to-face conversations. Using ‘old school’ planning tools like whiteboards and Post-its, we can create pathways to realise ideas, and have the ability to change these pathways when and where necessary.

Each year, BNZ Digital puts aside a few days to work on passion projects and engage with customers. ‘Innovation days’ are all about building for customers and in some situations, with customers. We split into teams, work for two days on getting our idea up and running and present back to the whole of Digital. The results of these innovation days often make their way into production.

Our latest mobile update out today is a result of one of our innovation days. The team who presented this actually spent two days in the Willis Street store in Wellington prototyping the feature, getting feedback from customers in real time. The direction they were taking changed and they did 24 builds of the feature in 24 hours based on feedback from 22 customers.

When customers are involved with the development of new features, solutions can evolve quickly and in unexpected directions. Agile gives us the ability to react quickly in these situations and helps us push the boundaries of traditional banking experiences. 

My favourite customer quote from the day that summed up everyone’s reaction to the solution when we presented it: “Do that!”

So we did.

This release is all about giving you more control of how you manage your money. It’s as easy as tapping on the CHQ, SAV or CR slot and then choosing the account you want to link to. We’re starting with a release for iOS, with an Android release scheduled for early next year. We are doing some housekeeping on our Android app to tidy up a few things and make it cleaner, smoother and more Androidy.

We would love to know what you think and how you’ll use it. If you have more suggestions about what you’d like to see in our app, you can post them here. We read and chat back there regularly.

Nick Fantham is Online Service Manager - Mobile for BNZ’s Digital team

I love the clean fresh look of the online banking app, the ability to see clear and defined goals is something in this digital world which is proactive without being ‘in your face’ Simplicity at it’s best.

I use the App on a daily basis now rather than online banking per say, but still would like to see a few more features to streamline and simplfy my everyday banking needs!

Keep up the good work guys!