Ever wanted an alternative to the NetGuard Card? It's here

Hi everyone

We’re pleased let you know that there’s a new version of NetGuard called Two-step Authentication. We know that this is a request you’ve been asking for, so here it is!

If you use mobile and internet banking, you can now authorise payments through your mobile app.

Find out more here.

For now, two-step authentication is only available to people who have mobile banking and who have chosen to turn off NetGuard at login.

Try it out in Internet Banking and tell us what you think in comments below.

6 Likes

This is awesome news! Thanks for sharing, @Nick.

1 Like

I haven’t added a new payee since the change but it looks like a really good move.

3 Likes

Net guard is one of the stupidest most frustrating systems. What you need is an option for people to not have to use it at all, it just bring inconvenience more than anything I have found and I am seriously considering moving banks because of it. I lost my phone, and am unable to use my internet banking until a new netguard card arrives by post. Surely there should be a system to bypass these issues to allow me to log in. For a company focused on being technologically relevant you’re really missing the mark

@Nick - Bnz Staff;
This - 2-step - method seems to only WORK when you have a 'valid txt’device ie a cell phone ; which if lost/stolen/broken (which happens ratherregularly these days) has created a major major issue(s) (for me atlweast!)
There seems to be NOWAY AROUND if you “have to change” that “default” number atthis time apart from 'physically going into a branch" ; atleast from my expeiances… as one BNZ staff suggested - and I had to say NO - "cannot send a txt msg to a home land line! lol

I am and have been an AVID USERof the BNZ’s NetGuard system. And over the years it has worked very very well for me -even when over travelling overseas. Yes being an active world travller- and using internet (wifi frebees everywhere possible) seems easy these days - and let me ASSURE EVERYONE the NetGuard has yet to be ‘broken’ if kept in a secure way!

so you jsut about hosed; if you away from NZ and loose you CELL PHONE !

Well smack my head! First world problems huh?

What about using a computer? Netguard may be a little clunky, but is very secure so long as… 1) the card is physically kept secure and 2) nobody knows your account number and logon password.

It’s inconvenient? Not really. Having to go into a branch everytime you need to transfer money is inconvenient. Yet it isn’t all that long ago that was what everybody had to do.

But you want everything to be so perfect online… so much so that you are prepared to run the risk of having your accounts totally compromised. And if it was, you’d be the one screaming at the top of your voice if because of that your account(s) were hacked because of perceived bank’s incompetence… because, well you couldn’t be at fault in any way could you?

I wondered what that was about. I’ve had it pop up a few times. Super easy to use.

However, what I had hoped to see is that the physical Netguard card has been replaced with a secure app with a rotating code, similar to the Steam Authenticator.

I understand that the BNZ Mobile App can be authenticated once with NetGuard so you don’t have to re-enter the code again, but can you change international payments made online to also send the authentication request above, instead of prompting me for my NetGuard co-ordinates?

There is worse options than Netguard. Both myself and family members have had issues when travelling overseas with a bank that texts a secondary code as security. That doesn’t work when travelling and is really horrid if you hoped to transfer funds or pay a bill while overseas. At least the Netguard just works anywhere because trying to sort access to your account from Japan (or anywhere else) isn’t easy. Personally Digipasses (which also generate codes) are good too - mainly because they are not relying on mobile phone access or data.

Wowsers - get aggressive much? There are quite a few secondary security processes available.

So… if I wanted to try this I have to turn off netguard at log in. Is that a permanent thing, or could I reactivate netguard? If the latter, could I keep switching between them?

Why would I want to do that? Certain circumstances I would NOT like to have authentication via my (so called) smartphone. Knowing someone who has been the victim of spying (by criminal gangs) I wouldn’t want this to be a permanent thing on my device.

The wording they have used is a little misleading, but reading up the relevant articles clears things up.

Normally, when you log into online banking, you get prompted for the NetGuard co-ordinates, each and every time.

There is an option to turn this off for Check Your Account Balances and Transfer Money Between Your Accounts, but it remains in force for Making International Payments, Paying Someone New, Updating Your Personal Details, or Sending A Secure Message.

From my experience, this new BNZ Mobile App authorisation only applies to Paying Someone New, Updating Your Personal Details, or Sending A Secure Message.

It is NOT being used for Making International Payments. That still uses the old NetGuard method.

Perhaps that is an oversight by BNZ and will be corrected in the future?

Note that with app updates you need to delete and re-install the app to resolve login issues…and re-install needs the Netguard card.

Keep in mind these are the views of fellow BNZ Community users, and not BNZ.