Developer API

I am just checking if a public API has been developed to retrieve transaction histories of accounts yet.

I am in the process of developing an automated budget tracker for my BNZ account however I am having trouble automatically exporting my account transaction history as a csv.

Last I saw there was a post in 2016 from staff saying they were working on it. Any updates?

Hello Dalmathus,
We have released an update recently allowing customers to export transactions back 2 years. To do this, select the account you are needing the transaction history for, at the top of the page select ‘Export’. From here, you can select to export the csv file for the last 2 years.
Hope this helps with your budget tracker!
Thanks,
Krystal.

That’s a great update Krystal, but what about the API, are you guys still looking into it?? I currently use Toshl for my personal finance and to get an almost real time feed I’m using the email notifications feature from the online banking so using a Gmail add-on I can keep my finance up to date. Drawbacks of this is I just get the transaction total amount and no info about where I spent the money (so hard to categorise the expenditure) and i don’t get credit card notifications so still have to manually enter those. An easy fix would be to add that information in the notifications email and send notifications on credit card expenditure as well however an API would be a much better solution.

Hi Krystal,

This is not exactly what I am looking for.

A BNZ API for transactions should allow me to download transaction information from an account without having to navigate through online banking at all.

In an ideal world I would be looking for the ability to make a request to the BNZ servers providing an;

• Bank Account Number + Suffix
  • Date Range of Transactions
  • Credit/Debit/All Transaction Types
  • Private API Key

This would allow me to automate the exporting of transactions from a specific account without having to navigate online banking as automation of this step is crucial.

In order to provide security I would also like to see a Private API key used.

This key would be generated through online banking by providing your NetGuard card details and would only allow you to retrieve transaction information from accounts linked to the NetGuard card provided.

The information I am requesting is read-only and should be exported in CSV or JSON format.

I would appreciate it if you passed this information on to the digital services development team and let me know if this functionality is even possible within the BNZ company policy.

Hi @dalmathus, this is certainly on our radar. The work we did recently in IB to extend transaction history period was done with the first phase of us building out external API capabilities. I think within a few months you might have what you are looking for, but don’t hold me to those time periods - there’s some work for us to do to make sure we have the security and management in place to cater to to connection type you are thinking of.

Hi Krystal

I am trying to access my transactions from credit cards that have changed numbers due to them being deactivated due to loss/stolen.

Chris

I also agree the API should use JSON format. Please, do not use XML.

Hi all,

I too am interested in the API development - can we have an update on progress and any news surrounding this?

Thanks

Hey @Nick, are you able to provide any updates on this topic?

@Lawrence are you able to give Nick another nudge? Thanks

Hey @Nick any updates for us? Cheers!

Hi @Nick has this progressed?

Hi!

Is there any update on this?

Thanks,
Ash

Hi all, sorry for tardiness getting back to you. I’m hoping we are better placed to give a clear update later in the year. What I can say though is that in the background we are making sure that our existing tech stack and architecture will enable this as soon as we are ready to do it. We are watching all the Open Banking requirements rolling out around the globe and are doing what we can to be ready when or if this comes here, but even beyond that we would like to enable our services to be accessible via APIs.

Again, hopefully later in the year we’ll have a better update on things in this space. Sorry I can’t be any more specific than that for you.

Hi, I have been asked to look at a commercial project whereby one requirement is to initiate bank to bank transfers for bill payments. I am considering exploring the Open Banking API project. Is this something BNZ is in consideration and capable of doing anytime soon?

Great question, @leeroyc! @Eric @Nick is this something either of you might have insights on? Thanks!

Hey guys, any update on this?
I’d gladly move ALL my banking to BNZ if you let us have a read only api just to get at all the transaction detail…

Hi @Nick, do we have any updates here? Cheers,