BNZ will not allow my father in the UK to close his account

BNZ will not let my father, who has Alzheimers and is in the UK, to close his account. He does not have internet banking, and has never logged into his account. I have Lasting Power of Attorney over his affairs - established in the UK, but BNZ will not recognize this.

After 9 weeks and dozens of emails, BNZ now is requiring that he locate a solicitor in England, create a package of documents, have them notarized, and then return them to NZ in order to close his accounts. During a UK-wide COVID-19 lockdown, for a highly vulnerable individual.

Does BNZ not have somebody who will not treat this like a risk-management exercise? Is there no way to close an account with BNZ from overseas for somebody who has advanced health issues and cannot act fully on their own?

Kia ora @flipcorp, thank you for your message and for making us aware of the situation. I apologise for any inconvenience caused by our teams response. I would be more than happy to look into alternatives and discuss this further with our team, but I can’t guarantee that there will be an alternative option to complete this request. I will be in touch with you to discuss the next best steps, as soon as I can. Have a great day and we’ll chat soon. ^Liam

Kia Ora @flipcorp, thank you for your patience. I understand you have raised a formal complaint and the matter is being addressed by the Bank’s Customer Resolution Team. I have referred your concerns to the team member allocated and requested they make contact with you. I do encourage you to discuss the issue further with them as they are best placed to assist you with the matter. Thank you for contacting BNZ. ^Liam