BNZ Staff ID

If I am called, ( by phone ), by a member of staff of BNZ, how do I know they are legit ?

I tell my customers that if anyone calls them (or emails them) from any bank that they must be suspicious. Never give out confidential or identification information. If in any doubt at all, hang up, or delete the email.

Thanks for that. I was asked private and personal questions and virtually
threatened. It was VERY uncomfortable, and I am sure 100% against the
Privacy Act.

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Each time one logged in to Internet Banking BNZ had a warning displayed "we will never etc…"
If you have not previously read that warning then I recommend the following.
Ask the Caller their full name and which branch they are ringing from and their Extension.
Say you are unable to answer immediately but will phone them back shortly.
Then you phone the BNZ Contact Centre and express your concerns. If genuinely a staff member the Contact Centre can phone the staff member for you and then you can confidently speak with that person.

I don’t use BNZ Internet banking.
But thank you for the advice, next time I will be aware.
Incidently, the second caller would not say which part of BNZ she was from.
I did later try contacting the call centre, but gave up after 30 minutes on
hold.

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Yes, I fully understand your position.

. I did overlook that grossly unfavourable aspect of Contact Centres- the huge wait time.

I wish they (all Call Centres) would employ more staff rather than give that false “we are experiencing an unusually heavy volume of calls at this time” automated message.

Regards

Neil

The bit that gets me is, “your call is important to us.” Yeah, right!

Hi brgeem, that’s a great question! If you’re unsure if the caller is genuinely from BNZ, ask for their name and tell them you will call them back. Then simply look for the 0800 number on the back of your card and ask to speak to the person who called you. Remember that we will never ask for your personal information, such as login details and passwords. We hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I had an unpleasant experience too from a BNZ Branch Staff member calling me at home - not very professional I thought too at the time especially when it was a difficult situation at home happening. It is best if BNZ Staff email or text to make a time to come into a branch - it is not wise to call someone at home out of the blue to discuss a sensitive matter. She did not identify herself clearly and she did not email or text as I requested. So I prefer the call centre online very helpful and I know they identify themselves clearly. At the time I tested another bank and they were most helpful - good to test other banks call centres too to see how they manage requests.

I had a very nice phone call today from a BNZ call centre member checking to see if my Visa Debit arrived safely - well done for the lovely conversation and advice :blush:

Thanks for the kind words, Yasmin. Did you happen to catch their name? We can pass that feedback on for you :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, the BNZ does leave a bit to be desired in this context.

Some time ago, they passed my private details onto Cigna who called me up to sell me life insurance. My guard was down because I was expecting a call from the bank (about another matter) and it wasn’t until partway through the call they divulged who they really were.
Furthermore, the bank had told them I had recently gotten a Visa Debit card and the caller used that info to weasel past my guard.

The BNZ made a right fool of me on that occasion and to top it off they would not admit they had done something wrong. Warn customers about scammers and then go and undermine their own advice.

On that topic, here’s an appropriate Wikipedia link:

Hi Michael, I’m so sorry to hear about your negative experience with us and apologies for the late response. Thanks for your feedback- good or bad its always valuable. I’ll make sure I pass on your feedback to the appropriate team. If there’s anything else I can do, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Thanks, Julia.