Android Pay is here!

Hi Eric, will wait until other cards (credit) can be loaded. The retail outlets that currently won’t accept credit cards are likely to not have paywave either meaning almost nowhere it has any use to me.

Are there benefits from using this beyond the paywave function that are not immediately obvious?

@Moose. The Flexidebit transaction from your BNZ Android Pay Wallet will adjust your account balance immediately. The online transaction history currently updates within the next 24-48hrs but we are currently working on adding it to your online history a few seconds after you’ve completed the transaction.

Hi @nextdoor,

You will also get the benefit of using Android Pay when making payments online via your phone. Once retailers integrate with the Android Pay API, you can make payments without having to re-enter your Credit Card details. See screen shot below, this is a real world example, that customers can use today.

Cheers,
Eric

Hi @Eric, has there been any other issues with EFTPOS machines declining payments? I tried getting something at Starbucks and it declined.

Having said that, the barista did mention Tues the same thing was happening with Apple Pay, so it might be an issue with just Starbucks.

Hi @Daniel,

Yes, there is an issue with some terminals at Starbucks, where payments wont go through.

However we are working through this, and the vast majority of terminals in the New Zealand market will work without an issue.

Cheers,
Eric

Android pay seems to accept payments from Flexi Debit cards fine. But my Countdown Onecard loaded into the phone produced ‘Loyalty Card not registered’ message at the checkout terminal. Using the actual onecard worked ok.

Hi @brboo,

Were you trying to scan the barcode of the card in the Android Pay app?

Cheers,
Eric

Nope. I entered the Onecard number into the app manually. At the checkout I opened Android Pay, selected that OneCard, held it to the terminal, and the terminal message was “card not registered”.

I think you’ll find OneCard uses the mag strip, not a bar code. The barcode on current cards is used for AA Smartfuel and the mag strip for Countdown OneCard (AA Smartfuel may be encoded on the mag strip also, but they only scan the barcode). Two different numbers (SmartFuel and OneCard), two different systems. You might be able to add the AA Smartfuel barcode though. Although, I’m not sure either system will work through the Android Pay mechanism. Will look into it I guess!

Hi @brboo and @Stu,

I asked Google this question, was advised that you need to scan the loyalty card’s barcode that appears in the phone. If there is no barcode, this wont work, sorry.

I believe there is a ‘SmartTap’ feature that will work much like a payment on your phone for loyalty cards. But this has not been released in New Zealand as yet.

More details here - https://support.google.com/androidpay/answer/6289384?hl=en-NZ

Cheers,
Eric

Any update on when credit cards will be added?

Hi Sam,

We are working on it, but it’s still a few months off yet.

Cheers,
Eric

Been a while since Android Pay was released but still no sign of credit cards being added.Will it ever happen or is it just a ploy to get more customers on to the Flexi Debit card & pay more in bank fees?

Hi Eric
Is there a fix for this ‘sign receipt’ issue now?

Hi,

Yes there is a fix. However, it’s a fix that happens at the terminal, not the BNZ app or Android Pay. So it’s up to the terminal provider to roll it out.

Cheers,
Eric

Update on Credit cards?

Comment on Jan 30 said it was a few months away, 5 months later???

Is this coming soon?

Hi,

We are working on it. I promise. It’s still at lest 2 months off, but we are getting closer.

Cheers,
Eric

4 posts were split to a new topic: Cant see ‘Add Android Pay’ option

8 posts were split to a new topic: Android Pay and credit cards

A post was merged into an existing topic: Android Pay and credit cards

Keep in mind these are the views of fellow BNZ Community users, and not BNZ.